In the vast wilderness of the Serengeti, there exists a spectacle that draws adventurers and wildlife enthusiasts from around the world – the Great Wildebeest Migration. If you’re wondering when the best time to see the Great Migration is, you’ve come to the right place.
This awe-inspiring natural phenomenon occurs at specific times of the year, offering an extraordinary journey through the African plains. Join us on a memorable Tanzania Safari Holidays and discover the secrets of the Best Time To See The Great Migration Serengeti – a mesmerizing spectacle that occurs during different seasons, each with its own unique charm and wonder.
The Great Migration: A Year-Round Journey
The Great Wildebeest Migration isn’t a singular event but a year-round journey influenced by the pursuit of fresh grazing and water. The migration involves around 1.5 million wildebeests, 200,000 zebras, and other herbivores across the Serengeti ecosystem, which spans Tanzania and Kenya.
Now that you have an overview of the Great Migration Serengeti, let’s explore the best time to witness this awe-inspiring event in more detail.
The Best Time To Witness The Great Migration
When it comes to begin Serengeti Migration Safari, timing is everything. The Great Migration is like a grand animal parade that happens every year, and different times of the year offer different spectacles. Here, we’ll break down the Best Times To See Serengeti Migration:
#1 The Calving Season (Late January to February)
This begins in late January and extends into February. During this time, the herds gather in the southern Serengeti plains to give birth to their young. The abundance of fresh grass is essential for the survival of the new-borns.
- Best For: Those interested in seeing new-born animals and predator action.
- Pros: Witnessing thousands of wildebeest calves being born, providing ample prey for predators like lions and cheetahs.
- Cons: Crowds of safari-goers, higher accommodation prices.
Vital Tips: Book your Tanzania Safari Holidays well in advance, as this is the most popular time to visit.
#2 Grassy Plains (March – May)
After calving, the herds start moving northwest, following the rains and lush grass. This journey typically takes place from March to May.
- Best For: Photography enthusiasts and birdwatchers.
- Pros: Lush green landscapes, fewer crowds, and better chances of spotting unique wildlife.
- Cons: Limited predator action compared to calving season.
Vital Tips: Pack binoculars for birdwatching, and opt for smaller lodges for a more intimate experience.
#3 The Mara River Crossing (June – Aug)
The most dramatic part of the Serengeti Migration Season occurs between June and July when the herds cross the Mara River into Kenya. This is a perilous endeavor as crocodiles lurk in the waters.
- Best For: Thrill-seekers and wildlife enthusiasts.
- Pros: Witness the dramatic river crossings, a predator’s paradise, and incredible photo opportunities.
- Cons: High demand, premium prices, and crowded viewing spots.
Ace Tips: Secure permits for popular river crossing sites, and be patient for the perfect shot.
#4 The Return Journey (October – November)
The herds begin their return journey in October, heading back to the southern Serengeti. This period offers another opportunity to witness the Serengeti Animal Migration, although in reverse.
- Best For: Those seeking a more exclusive experience.
- Pros: Smaller crowds, the opportunity to witness the migration in reverse, and lower prices.
- Cons:Drier landscapes, fewer predators.
Pro Tips: Look for migration-specific safaris to explore less-visited areas.
Factors Influencing The Timing of Great Migration
While choosing the Best Time To Go To Serengeti greatly affects your Great Migration experience, several other factors should be considered-
- Budget: Peak season often comes with higher prices for accommodations and tours. If you’re on a tight budget, consider the shoulder seasons or low season for better deals.
- Crowds: The Serengeti can get crowded during the peak migration season. If you prefer a quieter Serengeti Safari Experience, opt for the shoulder seasons.
- Photography: If you’re a photography enthusiast, different seasons offer unique opportunities. Calving season and river crossings provide dramatic shots, while the grassy plains offer vibrant landscapes.
- Weather: The weather In Tanzania can also influence your experience. Consider your tolerance for heat and rain when planning your Safari Holidays In Tanzania.
- Predator Activity: If witnessing predator-prey interactions is a priority, calving season and the Mara River crossing offer the best chances.
- Exclusivity: Some travelers prefer a more exclusive experience. Choosing the return to Tanzania season might provide a quieter and more intimate safari.
The Best Time To See Great Migration Serengeti depends on your individual preferences and priorities. Understanding these key factors will help you make an informed decision.
Time to witness the Great Migration – Plan with Us!
Now that you know the Best Times To See Great Migration Serengeti, it’s time to turn your dreams into reality. This extraordinary natural spectacle, with its adorable baby animals, lush green landscapes, thrilling river crossings, and exclusive moments, is waiting for you.
So, what are you waiting for? Don’t let this opportunity slip away. Plan your Serengeti safari adventure with Gifted African Adventures today, and get ready to begin the journey of a lifetime. Book your Tanzania Safari Holidays now and make memories that will last a lifetime!